Monday, October 27

Where have all the good men gone?

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and turn and dream
of what I need

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life

-- Holding Out for a Hero, Bonnie Tyler

Reading about such men as Thomas Nast* and Edward Morrow** who stood up against corruption and lies when nobody was standing next to them, I started to wonder: "Where have all the good men gone?" Not necessarily men, but men and women who stand up for what's right even when they find themselves standing alone? Have we become so comfortable sitting around that we don't object when people attack what is noble and true? Are we cowards, afraid of what people will think of us for going against them?


I am not the bravest person, by any means, but I am getting tired of sitting down. I will pray that fear of what other people might think when I oppose popular ideas that are wrong, will not keep me from opposition.

"So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:6)

*Thomas Nast fought the corrupt Boss Tweed and his vicious political machine in the 1870s. Nobody would stand up to the man who had everyone in his hand. Except Nast. Even when offered an enormous bribe, and threats were made against his family, Thomas Nast continued to crusade against corrupt government when everyone else was afraid.


**Edward Morrow spoke out against McCarthy and his Red Scare even when his major news company refused to sponsor the show that eventually led to McCarthy's downfall.

No comments: