Friday, August 29

Kryptonite

So, I've ruled out being a Ninja from my post-graduate plans. It was always a dream of mine, but with my lack of "mad skillz" shown so clearly in Judo class yesterday, I've decided to make a wiser career choice. Who really wants to be a Ninja anyway? It seems like it would be quite hard to breath in that outfit...

Sometimes life is not what we want or expect. I really wanted to learn Judo and I thought it would be an awesome life experience -- I had the best intentions, really. But it ended up being intimidating and uncomfortable. I've never been athletic and I've never had much coordination, but I thought maybe for once I could be something cool. Sometimes I have this image of myself in my mind (seriously, I'm so cool.. in my head) but really I'm just average. There are so many things that I'm not good at. Going to spring retreat for Cru reminded me of something I'd forgot. God will use my weaknesses for good. So even though I'm a failure when it comes to Judo (and ultimately being a Ninja), God has a better plan.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
That is why it's okay that I'm not going to make it as a Ninja. I want to be seen as someone who is good at everything (don't we all?), but God wants to break down our pride and show us that we can only boast in Him. Not only do I see this in the simple lesson of my Judo-experience, but I have seen this in my overly-emotional self. I was going through a really difficult time -- feeling like I could not control my emotions and that they were spinning out of control. I started thinking, Why did God make me this way? Being emotional is just destroying relationships and isn't doing any good! God has made me realize that, through Him, my over-emotional tendencies can be used for good. Do you know how freeing that very fact is? Try looking at your own weaknesses, whatever they may be (shyness, apathy, academics etc.), and see if you can't give them over to God. Knowing that He wants you to be boasting about your weaknesses (What?! I should be happy I'm over-emotional? What a crazy notion!) so that Christ can take them and use them for his glory.

No comments: